instalove

instalove

The Kingmaker's Daughter (The Cousins' War)

The Kingmaker's Daughter - Philippa Gregory First impressions: B- I love Gregory's "voice," and she's brilliant at using first-person POV (and even present tense in this one) to create a compelling and intensely personal atmosphere and a wholly unique perspective on true events.But I think I've read way too many Tudor and Wars of the Roses books, because I found the narrative and especially the dialogue to be very repetitive in the second half.The theme of "Elizabeth Woodville is a scheming, grasping witch" is used again and again and again as convenient filler whenever there's downtime in the chronology of intrigue and poisonings and beheadings. So much emphasis is given to a virtually unseen character that the enigmatic Richard III is reduced to banal and emotionless cameo appearances.Beyond that irritation, I think no author is better at depicting the constant uncertainty and fear and, ultimately, powerlessness that noble and royal women faced from the moment they moved from the nursery to the schoolroom. Like Mary and Anne Boleyn, the Neville sisters were born, trained and doomed to be nothing more than props and pawns in their father's quest for power and glory.