instalove

instalove

The Other Side of Us (Harlequin Super Romance Series #1824)

The Other Side of Us - Sarah Mayberry Grade: C“So be afraid. Be angry. Be jealous. Be possessive. Be whatever you need to be. But please, let me come along for the ride.”I suppose I was expecting something more vibrant like [b:Her Best Worst Mistake|13633179|Her Best Worst Mistake|Sarah Mayberry|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1336096474s/13633179.jpg|19242891], so this was kind of a letdown — and I have yet to find a Harlequin SuperRomance with any sort of “wow” factor.I loved that both main characters were in their late 30s, and the relationship-building was exactly what I look for in a contemporary romance. Oliver’s crucial episode of irrational jealousy, and Mackenzie’s reaction, were realistic and just angsty enough without being overwrought — but then the utterly useless epilogue threw me out of my happy place.Also…what in the hell was the deal with the “haha, oops, puppies!” plot device? Is spaying and neutering not recommended in Australia as it is in the U.S.? The hero doesn’t remember that his beloved schnauzer spent quality time with a Doberman? And the workaholic heroine is going to breed her dog because “wire-haired dachshunds are really hard to come by…”? I need a few more question marks here — ?????Maybe I’m overly sensitive because I’m still grieving for my shelter dog, but the irresponsible breeding is probably the one thing I will remember most about this book — and I doubt that’s what the author or the publisher intended.