instalove

instalove

Power Play: Resistance: Volume 1

Power Play: Resistance - Rachel Haimowitz, Cat Grant If you can handle the extreme kink, go for it – but only if you can commit to reading BOTH BOOKS. Trust me.*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*Grade: B-Reading these books was not a choice made on a whim. I read all the reviews and all the warnings and all the samples and all the excerpts. When it was listed on NetGalley, I decided to test my smug self-assessment as a completely open-minded reader willing to push my boundaries.These books blew those comfort zone doors WIDE OPEN. Off the fucking hinges.Boundaries. As if. These authors laugh at my pathetic excuses for boundaries and gleefully push me over the fucking cliff.I’m mixing my metaphors. Now do you understand what they did to me???NOTE: Trigger warning – graphic excerpts hidden behind spoiler tags.It was like Jonathan had chemically changed him somehow, jacked into something raw and primal and needy that’d clung to him after he’d left that nightmare of a place.I think “unsettled” would be the best way to describe how I felt while reading Resistance. A strange sense of hovering over the scenes, watching from a distance – disconnected and enthralled at the same time.For a second, the sound of leather on bare skin tore Bran fifteen years into the past, but he clawed his way back; no way was he letting himself fall down that hole ever again.When I finished the first book, I had no intention of reading the second. The writing was powerful, but the characters and the depiction of their Dom/sub relationship seemed to cross the line from “shocking” into “sordid.”Another zap, and the scream didn’t even make it out this time – just a cracked, broken whimper, Brandon’s trembling body slumping in his restraints as the handkerchief, at last, fluttered to the ground.HE’S NOT A DOM, HE’S A MOTHERFUCKING EVIL SELFISH BASTARD. WHY THE HELL DID BRAN GO BACK TO THAT ASSHOLE? I DON’T UNDERSTAAAAAAND! *whimper*So I read some fluff instead. There were goats involved.ANYWAY, within a few days, I finally realized – Hello, Dumbass! – that my reaction was exactly what Haimowitz and Grant intended. They drew me in, put me through the wringer, and then kicked me back to the curb – mirroring Bran’s journey. He was compelled to return, and so was I.Read the full review of both booksNOTE: I read a digital ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley.