instalove

instalove

For The Living - L.A. Witt Like many other reviewers, L.A. Witt is an auto-buy for me - her Rules of Engagement has a permanent spot on my DIK list.For the Living, however, can't really compare to her previous books. Witt is great at making rebound relationships realistic and emotionally engaging, but this one just didn't work for me.While the heroes were likeable and the angsty premise was appropriately heart-wrenching, I found it to be surprisingly preachy. It made me feel she was trying much too hard to convince the reader of things we already know (unless her intended audience is different than typical m/m romance readers). There was a whole lotta TELLING going on, with a LOT of lengthy "Gay Is Good" dialogue in the first few chapters.One thing I always love about Witt's characters are their "real" lives - their other out-of-bed jobs and friends and family that affect their relationship. Scott's career as a funeral director is one that I have *never* seen in any romance before, and I appreciated his struggles to balance his personal and professional personas.Widower Jay is memorable as well, but I felt his character arc was pretty predictable, with angry in-laws appearing right on schedule.For the Living isn't bad, but for anyone new to this author, I'd steer clear and go for Rules of Engagement and the Changing Plans series instead.