instalove

instalove

Lady Alexandra's Excellent Adventure - Sophie Barnes Plot summary: TSTL hoyden teams up with worst spy ever to rescue brother who may be a traitor.Review summary: A spectacularly unsuccessful mashup of Julia Quinn and Joanna Bourne.Read the full reviewThis book is a sad example of everything that could be wrong with a Regency romance. It's not a Regency. It's not British. It's not a romance. It's modern American characters in a bad screwball comedy, with a lot of cheesy melodrama thrown in.We also get cliche-filled writing (shots rang out!!!), bad editing (crossing The Chanel - one N), anachronistic language ("morphed"? REALLY???), lazy and inaccurate period detail (rifle = musket = harquebus = I don't think so), lengthy and repetitive internal monologuing, zero sexual tension, a complete lack of subtlety, lots of proofreading fail and the WORST SPIES EVER. Yes, I *know* this is supposed to be a "romp," but that doesn't give an author or a publisher (a Big Six publisher!) an excuse to insult my intelligence.*~*~*~*~*~*12/02/12 ETA: I just looked at the bigger version of the cover, and that umbrella has a PLASTIC PUSH BUTTON SLIDER. Let's just call it an anachronism stick and beat me over the head with it.