instalove

instalove

The Real Deal - Debbi Rawlins Grade: B+He sighed. “With all the beautiful airheads I have at my disposal, I had to choose a smart-ass to meet my folks.”The set-up:Freelance editor Emily drags herself out of her self-made, home-based Cave of Solitude for a much-needed splurge in New York City — but a run-in with a big-league ballplayer changes her vacation itinerary from spas and shopping to seduction and sex.The hits:Studly but sensitive beta hero. Smart, smartass heroine. Great relationship-building. Swoon-worthy romantic moments. Believable angstifying about friends and family. A low-key but effective use of the superstar-athlete angle. No over-the-top villains or plot shenanigans.The misses:The obligatory tacked-on-but-useless epilogue. Blech. The ballplayer hero thinks Romantical Thoughts in the final innings of a World Series game. My inner baseball fan was screaming “Keep your mind on the game, FSS!”The final score:Just the right amounts of angst and humor and lust and romance for a sweet and satisfying HEA.