instalove

instalove

A Measure of Mercy - Lauraine Snelling On the plus side, the female-doctor premise was compelling and the setting in turn-of-the-century North Dakota was a great depiction of a spiritual community.However.... I feel completely betrayed by the cover blurb. The relationship between Astrid and Joshua comprised less than a third of the book. The remainder dealt with an overwhelming number of secondary characters - I had to skim through the first four chapters several times to get a handle on the family connections, and even more characters were introduced later.I found myself skimming through the secondary characters to get to Astrid and Joshua's story - all the while wondering how the author was going to wrap up the HEA in the dwindling number of pages.And then came the non-ending ending. This is NOT a stand-alone book. This is part one of a three-part series, NOT a trilogy of related stories. Nowhere in the book blurb is this fact made clear. After mucking through all the initial character confusion and finally getting invested in the Astrid/Joshua relationship, I was extremely annoyed to be deprived of a satisfying ending. I stuck it out to the end of book one, but there's no way I will pay nearly $20 to slog through the others.