instalove

instalove

Identity Crisis - Laura Scott Sheer desperation had forced her to break her cardinal rule by borrowing Mallory’s identity. But she shouldn’t have rested until she found a way to warn Mallory. Now it was too late. Dear Lord, forgive me. Please forgive me!THE HAPPY COUPLE....She's a trauma nurse who's forced to assume her twin's identity when a dying patient divulges some Bad Stuff about some Bad Guys. He's her loyal ex-fiancée, and her only hope of finding her twin and recovering her memory.THE ROMANCE....One of three reasons I didn't fully connect with this book. There was no relationship building and very little romantic conflict. She broke off their engagement because he was "overly protective" and "didn't have a close relationship with God" - even though she never bothered to ASK WHY he was so overprotective and so superficially faithful. He gets a Big Reveal of his Tragic Past that immediately clears up the Big Misunderstandings.THE STORYTELLING....At first, my eyes were rolling freely. She gets amnesia when she trips and hits her head on the sidewalk, and then the hospital immediately sends her out the doors with a prescription for "wait a week and we'll see." The hero thinks she's the Evil Twin faking it to get him even further on the outs with his ex-fiancée.Fortunately, he realizes pretty quickly that she's the Love of His Life, and the plot gets much better from there. It's kind of a wild ride from one side of Milwaukee to the other - but it's not really a ride because he's dragging her and her sprained ankle across town on foot, which is a useful ploy to put them in greater danger.THE SUSPENSE....The resolution of the plot is the second reason Identity Crisis didn't quite work for me. The crooked cop is sufficiently sinister, and the sense of impending doom was enough to keep me reading - but then.... Blah.There was something vague involving money laundering, the uber-villain is a vague non-entity until the very end, the hero's father is vaguely threatened because of some vague connection as fellow college alumni, and the vague disappearance of the unseen Evil Twin (Who's Really Just Misunderstood) is left hanging for a sequel.THE FAITH MESSAGE...."All the prophets testify about him, that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name." - Acts 10:43Reason number three. Ugh. The heroine jilts her fiancée because he doesn't love God as much as she does - she's the Shining Example of Godliness that he has to live up to. His born-again best friend is used as a romantic threat. I just wanted to hug the poor guy and tell him that he shouldn't have to preach on street corners to prove he's worthy enough.THE RECOMMENDATION....The middle - the fun suspenseful stuff - was enjoyable. The beginning and end, not so much.