instalove

instalove

Deeply Devoted - Maggie Brendan While I enjoyed this book far more than the author's No Place for a Lady, there were a few too many "huh???" moments to suspend my disbelief in the plot.I had a really difficult time trying to make sense of the logistics of the "mail-order bride" premise. The heroine and her sisters lived in Amsterdam, and six months after the oldest begins a courtship-by-mail, all three immigrate to America.My questions:- Where exactly did a Dutch widow find a mail-order bride advertisement from a Wyoming farmer? I can't think of any newspapers, magazines or other publications of that period that would have an international audience.- How in the world did so many overseas letters make it back and forth in just six months? Even the Wyoming-to-New York distance would take at least a week, not to mention the 2-3 week ocean crossing.- How and when did the three Dutch sisters learn so many Americanisms? I can believe they spoke fluent English, but their dialogue had western idioms and slang from the moment they stepped off the train.I was also put off by the Big Understanding, my least-favorite plot device. I'll avoid the spoilers, but I just wanted to smack both the hero and the heroine upside the head.However, I did enjoy the story-telling and the author's "voice" enough to hope she gives the younger sisters their own stories in the series.