instalove

instalove

Before the Scarlet Dawn (Daughters of the Potomac #1) - Rita Gerlach First impressions: Ugh. About halfway through, I found myself thinking "This isn't working for me on any level." And then it got worse.I was so intrigued by the colonial setting promised in the blurb, but it played out like a strange conglomeration of Gone with the Wind, The Scarlet Letter and Jane Eyre.I found the heroine to be wildly inconsistent, veering from naive preacher's daughter to vain seductress to proto-feminist to groveling martyr in such a way that I *never* understood her motivations. The general consensus among reviewers is that the heroine's husband - who is NOT a hero by any means - is a complete and utter tool. But what annoyed me even more than his despicable deceit near the end was that NO ONE ever called Hayward out for his own significant role in contributing to Eliza's "moment of weakness."AND the death of a major character in the book was tossed away in a single sentence from a stock character who appeared in only that one scene.Longer review to come. Received this title free from the publisher via NetGalley.