instalove

instalove

Season for Love (The McCarthys of Gansett Island, #6) - Marie Force I feel so guilty giving this only two stars, but it just didn't work for me.I loved the main characters of the previous books in the series, but their completely sappy anecdotes in this book just interrupted the flow of the story and completely threw me out of my reading trance several times.Anyone who hasn't read the other books in the series will have NO clue who these people are, and it's a waste of exposition to give us their backstories. Readers like me who have devoured the previous books already know that McCarthys & Friends have the most romantic, sex-filled marriages ever, and one book for each couple is enough.And then we get more Tiffany and Blaine. And now Carolina and Seamus. And now Dan and Kara. And now Jenny and whoever (probably Adam). It's just too many couples to care about, and I don't want to have to choose which chapters to skip.I'm also getting very frustrated with the continuing emphasis on the "Let's Rebound Into A New Relationship With No Downtime Whatsoever!" theme. Janey. Sydney. Laura. Tiffany. I think the tourist brochures for Gansett Island must have a tagline like "Where Fabulous Single Men Appear Out Of Nowhere Whenever A Damsel In Distress Needs One."Laura and Owen actually do discuss "she can't live without a man" (a thought planted by the Evil Ex-Husband), but it's quickly glossed over and forgotten. As a divorced single parent, I get *really* tetchy reading romances that ignore the struggle for self-esteem and self-sufficiency or treat it as an afterthought.I'm also confused about Jenny the Lighthouse Keeper. We get an entire chapter of her sob story at the beginning, and then she's reduced to cameo appearances in two throwaway scenes. I know it's setting her up for her own storyline, but why include the tragic backstory here? And a "Tell Us Your Life Story" essay question might be believable for a college application, but not for a job.I'm not ready to give up on this series yet, but I hope the next installment features more relationship building and less soap opera.