instalove

instalove

The Cowboy's Princess Wife - Mysty McPartland 6/19/12 ETA: This title is no longer available from Amazon, B&N or the publisher....*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*In the interests of fairness, and to prove that I’m an Equal Opportunity Crank, I decided to try out another title from the publishing house that signed Sable Hunter.I chose The Cowboy’s Princess Wife because of the bodice-ripping title, the author’s stripper-rific first name and the house full of crap mentioned in the blurb.After reading the book, I decided to subtitle this review "101 Reasons Why Secret Cravings Publishing Is Collectively Smoking Crack."A plot synopsis and character sketches are available in my full review, but for the purposes of this forum, we'll focus on the Bad Editing and the Bad History.The bad editing....The publisher of The Cowboy’s Princess Wife claims to have more than two dozen people on staff as editors and proofreaders. I don’t think any of them have actually read this book. If they have, they should be fired immediately.But that won’t happen because more than half the editorial staff are listed as authors. That place is more inbred than the House of Hapsburg.So, what are they missing? Point of view bounces around randomly. Stock characters pop up out of nowhere for a single line of dialogue, then disappear, never to be heard from again. Secondary characters lucky enough to stick around are unlucky enough to have their names changed from one chapter to the next (Daniel/Drake) or even within the same chapter (Alfred/Albert). The hero’s earldom changes from Huxley to Huntley.If those narrative complaints are too high-brow, maybe we could nitpick about the atrocious punctuation and run-on sentences……It was well kept just as the other buildings spaced around the immediate area, an indication, she supposed, of a man who respected his property and a man of that nature couldn’t be too bad.…He’d been lucky so far and avoided all the traps she set up, well until to now and it was his own bloody father that had caught him.…Lord help her, she wondered how could she possibly take any more of this exquisite torture, she vaguely thought, but she did and she wanted everything that he could give her.…Not only did the King want her back in England so she could lend him money, he wanted her to choose a husband between her second cousins Jamie and Tavis and he frowned knowing that he had heard the names before.…When silence fell between the two women on noiseless feet, he went back to the kitchen and waved for Albert to join him.…“It’s despicable to have not two cousins lusting after her and three of them trying to steal her money, but to have them taking the matter to the King and have him order her home?”…Cursing a blue streak, Haydon found his trousers, swiped them off the floor, he drew them up his legs and once they were over his hips, fumbling he buttoned them up as he raced out of the room.Or the missing, extraneous or misplaced words……She was surprised when the door flew open and at the man staring at her in stunned silence.…he saw the fear quickly show in her eyes, before she replaced with her anger again.…“I know of one certain stallion, I’m sure would be perfect. His wily devil but is magnificent.”…Haydon’s face went hard with displeasure and mounting irritation waited for the rest of the volatile scene to unfold.…She couldn’t get the wicked pictures that had been painted in her mind from Haydon’s description of how they could make love.”Or the spelling and homophone errors...…She let out a soft sigh of satisfaction and keeping her eyes closed let herself drift on the after math of rhapsody.…Now though she liked having his hands sooth over her back….…she lifted her hips and let out a low, keeling moan when she became swamped in rapture.…she was far more fourth coming with them than she would be with him.…He could feel the vice around him tighten even more.…She became a little nervous when she saw his face darken and a tick start at the corner of his mouth.…It seemed as if she was shining and he had to shake his head over the ridicules thought.Or the subject/verb and verb tense agreement problems……What she didn’t understand is just how she came to find herself in this position in the first place and also what else might have happened.…Her beautiful eyes were spitting hot flames at him, and their brilliance were nearly blinding.…When her nails dug into his back and lightly tear through his skin, a growl rumbled through his chest.…How she yearned to talk to him, mourned at not being able to cuddle up against him and falling asleep and she grieved because she was unable to make love to him.…He undid the buttons on his pants and pushed them down, when they puddle around his feet, he stepped out of them and slipped on the mattress beside her.Or maybe just the logic conundrum……And worst of all, how could she eagerly welcome his kisses and even worse kiss him back?Even worse than worst of all??? That's pretty worse.The bad history....Ye gods. This is the new standard in Mistoricals. I don’t even know where to begin.Well, if we have to start somewhere, let’s kick off with Heroic Haydon, Cowboy of Nobility:“Being a second son with only a minor title, there wasn’t anything for me except finding some employment.”Haydon is the Earl of Huntley. Or maybe Huxley. Or both. Who the hell knows, because the author sure doesn’t. Our hero is also described as the “son of Lord of Weymouth and brother of the Marquis of Overton.”I’m no authority on the English peerage, but even *I* know that (a) an earldom is not a “minor title;” (b) titles were rarely automatically conferred on sons of peers and almost never on younger sons; and (c) a duke would never be referred to as “Lord of Whatever,” especially by a so-called royal like our status-conscious Scottish Princess.Our Noble Cowboy is so noble that his elderly butler and valet emigrated to America with him. Walter the Butler and Alfred/Albert the Valet call Haydon by his first name. Haydon calls them his “boys.”But wait – there’s more!Our story takes place during the reign of “King George.” We don’t know which King George, but we’ll assume it’s George IV, who ruled from 1820 until his death in 1830.Our Noble Cowboy has been ranching for six years. Visitors to the area stay at the hotel in nearby Granite Peak, Montana, and drink beer in the local saloon. Sounds like a typical Western cowtown, right? Well, it might be typical if it were moved into the future by oh, about 50 years or so. The first permanent settlement in Montana wasn’t founded until 1841. The Territory of Montana wasn’t established until 1864. Montana wasn’t a state until 1889.Granite Peak also boasts a telegraph office, from which our characters send wires to King George and the Duke of Weymouth. So now we’re at some point after the first transatlantic telegraph cable was laid in 1858. Or more likely sometime after 1866, when the first telegraph office in Montana was established.So why not choose Queen Victoria? Because she wouldn’t have given a rat’s ass who her 59th cousin thrice-removed married, and that would have blown up the whole plot.We won’t even go into the fucked-up legalities of a proxy marriage between a Scottish princess and an expatriate English nobleman living in an unincorporated American wilderness.But wait – there’s more!Carlin claims to be a cousin of King George and 29th in line for the throne, which apparently makes her a Princess. We know she’s a Princess because the word appears in the book more than 40 times.We have no idea how Carlin is cousin to George, nor to what degree. No other information about her family is provided, except that her cousin Layla is 34th in line for the line and her second cousins Tavis and Jamie are Villainous Villains.(Can we talk about character names for a second? The Arabic name “Layla” for a Scottish royal? Really?)ANYWAY, our royal heroine shows up unannounced in the middle of as-yet-unsettled Montana, accompanied only by her female cousin. Wow, two highborn females traveling unescorted across the Atlantic and thousands of miles deep into the wilds of the American frontier – I know, right??? Bite that, Lewis and Clark.But that’s just the beginning.Carlin’s entourage includes four men, six horses and three wagonloads of crap. We know the wagons are full of crap because Heroic Haydon calls it crap. Repeatedly.What kind of crap, you ask? Well, for starters, four full suits of armor and a massive oak four-post bedstead engraved with frolicking nymphs. Also, swords, sabers and other weaponry. Not to mention heraldic banners, tapestries and carpets.Yes, our heroine somehow managed to drag 14 metric tons of utter crap across the Atlantic Ocean. Across thousands of miles of uncharted forests, mountains and rivers. To the home of the husband she’s never met. Because she wanted to have “her things” around her for comfort. A girl just can’t live in the middle of nowhere without a matched pair of sterling silver candelabras, now can she?How did she…? Where did she….? Never mind. What about her wardrobe, you ask?Dressed in tight black britches and a black silk shirt that snugly fit around her breasts, she looked so damn sexy, downright seductive and bloody indecent.W. T. F. Where the hell did that come from? WHY would a so-called princess have britches and a skin-tight black silk shirt in her wardrobe? Did she moonlight as a highwayman before her proxy marriage?“There is nothing wrong with my outfit, sir, and I take offense to ye attitude and tone.”So there, ye black-hearted knave. We won’t mention the fact that the word “outfit” wasn’t used in this context until the late 1850s.I don't think I'll be reading anything else from Secret Cravings Publishing.