instalove

instalove

A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)

A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) - Sarah MacLean I've read and enjoyed all four of Sarah MacLean's previous books - especially Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord, which earned a spot on my favorites list for having a kick-ass heroine, a scholarly yet swoon-worthy hero and a surprisingly unique plot.This one? The blurb had me worried even before I bought it. Reformed rake, spinster, gaming hell. And this will be different because...?I was never able to answer that initial question, because it wasn't different. There is nothing here to set it apart from a zillion other formulaic Regencies. Asshole hero, waffling heroine, predictable plot, repetitive angst and pretty much devoid of any charm whatsoever.I have no clue what happened between the author's first trilogy and this big ol' mess. I felt like Sarah MacLean just put her writer's brain on autopilot to churn out something to give to her editor, expending little or no effort on creating good characters or a good story. And that left me as a reader feeling more than little insulted.The only thing saving it from a one-star rating is the sequel-bait epilogue featuring the heroine's bluestocking sister who decides she "requires ruination". I'm a sucker for books about smart women; let's hope the author can do her justice.