instalove

instalove

The Baron's Governess Bride - Deborah Hale Part of her wished Lord Steadwell could see her like that, making the most of her God-given appearance rather than hiding her light under pinched spectacles and drab clothes.THE HAPPY COUPLE....She's a gorgeous governess who dons a mobcap and spectacles to find a new job because she's tired of being accosted by slimy men. He's an aristocratic widower with two young daughters.THE ROMANCE....An attempt at a Cinderella story, but the "in disguise at the ball" scene is an uncomfortable plot contrivance to maneuver the staid hero and heroine into acting out of character.THE HISTORY.....No glaring anachronisms or inaccuracies, just the usual country estate and London ballroom and a few mentions of Napoleon. This story could easily be lifted out the Regency and plopped into virtually any time period - and I think it has been. Often.THE STORYTELLING....Again, nothing objectionable, but nothing special. The only conflict centers around the "Don't Hate Me Because I'm Beautiful" heroine's deception in keeping her gorgeousness hidden from her employer, and that's just not enough to drive the romance-building for me.THE FAITH MESSAGE......."Let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." - 1 Peter 3:4There wasn't a lot of proselytizing, but the overall spiritual theme seemed rather heavy-handed and inconsistent, popping up occasionally to remind us that, yeah, this is an inspirational.THE RECOMMENDATION....Only for readers looking for a generic "governess + widower" historical.GRADE: C- [NOTE: I read a digital Advanced Readers Copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley.]